Thursday, April 16, 2009

Chickpea Cutlets


So my friend Betty made me this Vegan meal over the weekend and I HAD to get the recipe from her. SO delicious. And so simple to make.

  • 1 cup cooked chickpeas
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1/2 cup vital wheat gluten
  • 1/2 cup plain breadcrumbs
  • 1/4 cup vegetable broth or water
  • 2 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 2 cloves garlic, pressed or grated with a Microplane grater
  • 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1/2 teaspoon paprika
  • 1/4 teaspoon dried rubbed sage
  • Olive oil for pan frying
1 - mash up the chickpeas in a big bowl with the Olive oil.
2 - ad the rest of the ingredients and kneed them till you get strings of gluten (3 min max)
3 - heat up a large pan with a decent amount olive oil while you form the "cutlets" with your hands. I formed them in my hands and then squished them on a cutting board.
4 - fry them till they are golden brown. I doubled the batch and am freezing the rest for later - sandwiches maybe. Man they are so so good.

I think next time I am going to bake them. YUM!

1 comment:

  1. This looks awesome. I have been trying to cut my meat eating to a minimum.

    ReplyDelete